Another week has come and gone. Still picking up the pieces from shattered glass. Still trying to adapt to a new situation and accepting that things will never go back to how they used to be. Accepting that permanent changes have been made, and adjusting to them. Trying to deal with uncertainty of the future. Still holding on.
But things have calmed down a bit. Still a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, but definitely less intense. Slowly coming to terms. Learning a ton in the process, especially about myself.
Externally, I had a very chill week. Didn’t do much. I only managed to go to the gym twice, but I was the sorest that I’ve been in a long while. Even the weekend was chill, didn’t take any trips to the “big city” or any long hiking trips to the great outdoors. I’ve been tapping into my creative side; listening to a lot of music, writing a lot. It’s funny how I’m always the most inspired when I’m going through tough times. And I never realized how tough my teenage years really were. I didn’t realized I lived with constant anxiety and internal distress. Poor teenagers, everywhere.
I haven’t been inspired to paint in many years. I even tried and nothing came. Maybe I should give it a go now, but I don’t have the supplies anymore and I can’t just start painting my closet door here (did that in my teenage years), considering we rent this apartment.
Anyway, here are a few small pleasures from my week:
1. Last week our dryer broke. This week, the A/C broke. It stopped working in the middle of the night. It was Friday and it was not going to be fun to go through the day, let alone the weekend, without A/C. Currently the weather here in Utah has been consistently in the high 90s F (about 35 C), and our balcony thermometer reads 110F (43 C) in the late afternoons when the sun hits. Luckily, the A/C guys fixed our A/C before 1pm Friday. I was already planning on escaping to a coffeeshop all day if it didn’t work and hoping the nights wouldn’t suck. But I didn’t have to, so all good.
2. I bought ice cream this week at the store. Something I do very rarely, so it was a treat. Talenti Gelato to be specific, which I frickin’ love.
3. The love from friends keeps coming! Unexpectedly and unsolicited. It’s so amazing. Maybe I should go through tough times more often. Okay no, kinda not worth it, but it is truly an amazing feeling to see how even after being gone from home for so long (8 years now! Holy…) these old friends still have my back, and have tremendous love and support for me. I haven’t made any new close friends since 2009, because I’ve moved so much, so it’s the greatest thing to have not lost my old friends. Distance and time has never been able to rupture our friendship. Truly grateful.
4. “Stranger” kindness and concern. I skipped my workout class for 11 days, and when I came back I mentioned I had been “dealing with personal life stuff”. Just by saying that, an acquaintance, one of the coaches there offered her genuine help. She asked me if I was okay and if I needed anything. I can tell when people are being genuine or just saying things, she was genuine. And by the end of the class when I said goodbye she told me again to let her know if I needed anything at all. People here are really nice.
5. Discovering new music and rediscovering music I used to love. A good friend has been giving me recommendations for music, and when I have the time for it it’s always a pleasure to listen to new songs and even full albums of bands I know and don’t know. Discovering music used to be a favourite pastime of mine, years ago. I’d spent considerable time looking up new bands, finding good music that you wouldn’t necessarily hear on the radio. So it’s nice to get back into that and share it with someone special.
Also, my one and only tattoo (got it when I was 17, and I’m not planning on getting more) had a very simple [musical] meaning for the longest time, and it recently acquired a more meaningful one.
I hope you had a good week and you have a better one. I gotta go grocery shopping now and probably deal with yet another uncomfortable (for me) conversation with the produce guy there that chats me up every time.
See what others were happy about:
This week’s small pleasures: week 17 – Thistles and Kiwis
Share your happiness!
I find that the small things that make us happy every day are easily forgotten.
This blog event is simply about remembering and sharing those small things that made you happy during the week; things that made you smile, made you laugh, made you do a happy dance, made your heart smile…
You can share in any format you like. For people to find your post, tag your post “Weekly Small Pleasures” and link to my most recent post for a pingback! You can also just share in the comments.