Our week started a little off when our young female cat went into heat for the first time. It was both my husband’s and my first time experiencing this. For lack of a more articulate explanation: it sucks. The howling is constant and since we are both currently working from home, it’s kind of a problem. We had to lock her in the bathroom at night to get any sleep. We hate this because it’s irritating and because we feel bad for her, she looks like she’s suffering and we don’t like locking her in. I hope we can get her spayed before it happens again.
We also got stood up yesterday by the company that was going to come pick up and salvage our sick car (who’s engine is broken and we can’t afford to fix) in exchange for a bit of cash.
There were, however a few great small pleasures this week:
1. Getting back into my crossfit workouts. Some are quite tough but they boost my mood and my energy overall, plus they’re so good for my health.
2. I won a food-naming contest over at Travel Tales of Life. I had a bit of an advantage and I didn’t actually win anything palpable but it was still fun because I rarely win anything at all.
3. A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I decided to join the Red Cross as volunteers and started the process online. On Friday, we attended a new volunteer Red Cross orientation at the Oregon Chapter Red Cross Headquarters and it was invigorating. I feel like lately I have fallen into a rut and this is the kind of stuff that gets me excited; using my skills and time to help others with the help of an organization. It is very fulfilling. The more I learn about the Red Cross the more I am excited to work with them. I especially like their 7 Fundamental Principles which include Humanity, Impartiality and Voluntary Service.
4. It has been a while since we ate out in Portland and since we had to drive there, we stopped by our favorite Mexican place which is always amazing and always part of my small pleasures. This time I also ordered something different than usual and went with the flautas and a guava agua fresca. :p
5. After the mentioned lunch, Hubby needed to reply to an important email so we walked to the nearby laundromat (which is not like any laundromat you have ever seen; it’s clean, modern, cool, green, and inside has an amazing coffee shop and wifi) to get on the wifi. We had been there once before and didn’t check out the coffee shop area, but as we walked in this time I jokingly and sarcastically said “hey, I’m going to get some amazing dessert from the laundromat” and headed to check out the bakery section. My eyes (and tummy) were super delightfully surprised when I saw they had pastries from an amazing local gluten-free bakery and I proceeded to buy what was probably the best chocolate peanut butter cupcake of my life, from a laundromat!
6. Our cat’s heat-related constant wailing lasted only 4 days! From what I had read on the internet a female cat’s heat period lasts 7-21 days. We were so happy when we noticed that it was over and she was back to normal after only 4 days.
See what others were happy about:
Weekly Small Pleasures (6) | May 13th
Weekly delights #5 | Follow me to…
Weekly small pleasures #3 | The Healthy Secret Identity
Chicken Teriyaki | Body Transformations
Weekly Small Pleasures, 15th February | TinyExpats
Small Weekly Pleasures #5 | Just Keep Swimming
Weekly Small Pleasures – Blog Event
Share your happiness!
I find that the small things that make us happy every day are easily forgotten.
This blog event is simply about remembering and sharing those small things that made you happy during the week; things that made you smile, made you laugh, made you do a happy dance, made your heart smile…
You can share in any format you like. For people to find your post, tag your post “Weekly Small Pleasures” and link to my most recent post for a pingback! You can also just share in the comments.